The student news site of Oak Park High School

Northmen News

Northmen News

Northmen News

Girls Golf Constructs a New Varsity Team

This year, the girls golf team has a new varsity team. The previous varsity team graduated last year leaving the varsity team empty. Senior Kari Newton, and juniors Ava Sanderson, Emma Arnone, Lily Tice, and Shelby Bond filled in the spots.

For most of the varsity team, this is their second year on the golf team except for Bond which is her first year; and Newton, the only senior on the team, has played for three years.

“We are doing the same thing from last year, but I learned to twist the grass before putting the ball down,” Newton said when talking about keeping traditions from the previous varsity.  “I learned that from [graduate] Carlee McCall.”

Going from JV to varsity is an accomplishment and a surprise for some players.

Tice said, “No, I think I suck at golf, but I’m flattered about the opportunity.”

Also Sanderson didn’t expect to be on varsity as well.

“I knew that I would be put on the team because at the beginning of the year we had almost no one. But I did not expect to be on varsity.”

Varsity is more competitive compared to JV; and there is a gap in the connection between the two teams.

“Last year I was on JV and we barely went to any games and I felt like I was just being told what to do and wasn’t included in any of the team conversations,” Sanderson said. “But with varsity, I have multiple games a week and the coach asks us what we want to do and what we want to wear.”

Tice agreed with the number of tournaments .

“It is a lot of work you go to so many more tournaments and it takes a lot out of you,” Tice said.

With the season ending after districts on Monday, Oct. 9, in the end it’s all about having fun and bonding with the team. Some of the varsity players’ favorite memories of the team include:

“Laughing with Shelby in the vans,” Newton said.

Tice said, “Van rides when we get into weird conversations.”

Sanderson agreed.

“The car rides to practice and games. We talk about so many different things; and we are always laughing and getting to know each other better.”