The student news site of Oak Park High School

Northmen News

Northmen News

Northmen News

Oak Park Shows Ink

Throughout the 20th century, teenagers have grown up surrounded by art on human canvas. Whether the style is American traditional, fine line, cartoons and various other types, art is constantly expressed by how people present it on their body.

Throughout Oak Park, people of all ages have used ink to spread art. Science teacher Sarah Moen uses color to express herself. 

“My favorite is usually things that are really pretty, like I have water color,” Moen said.

She explains that she got her tattoos simply because she enjoyed them. When asked if tattoos all have to have meaning Moen said, “Not at all. Like I said, I just wanted it. I have another one from the Jurassic Park movie.”

One thing people often worry about with getting tattoos is regretting their decision later in life. A larger worry is starting with their tattoo journey when they’re too young.

“I do tell people, usually, depending on what you want to do when you’re older, try to put it somewhere where you can’t see it,” Moen said.

However some students choose to start their art young.

“I dont think all tattoos have meaning and that’s okay,” senior Kaisa Harris said. “I think everyone gets their own tattoos for all kinds of reasons. My tattoo is my family’s birth flowers, the butterfly represents growth, moving past my accident and letting my life still be beautiful.”