The student news site of Oak Park High School

Northmen News

Northmen News

Northmen News

Bela’s Movie Blog: The Holdovers Review

“The Holdovers” was released on Oct. 27, 2023, and it’s up for five Oscars this year including Best Picture and Best Actor. Paul Giamatti won Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy and, in her debut role, Da’Vine Joy Randolph won Best Supporting Actress at this year’s Golden Globes. 

Movie poster courtesy of IMDB.

Set in an early 70s New England private school, the film revolves around an uptight, annoyed classics teacher (Giamatti) who’s made to watch students, including Angus Tully (the debut role of Dominic Sessa). who weren’t able to leave for winter break. They’re accompanied by the school cafeteria manager ( Randolph) who lost her son, an alumnus of the school, in Vietnam. The characters slowly learn to trust and get along with each other as the film goes on, they break rules and grow close, because despite their differences they all mourn, whether it be for a family member or a lost opportunity. A melancholy, flawed found-family who connect over being alone together. They slowly went from “alone together” in the emotional sense, to just being together.

I view this film as a great comeback from director Alexander Payne, whose previous films, including “Downsizing” and “The Descendants,” were entertaining but fell flat in emotional appeal and visual uniqueness. “The Holdovers” is full of ambiance: from the snowy shots of the school to a Christmas- themed 70s Boston, it’s visually stunning. The whole film gives off a cozy feeling, it’s very homey and it feels lived in, the sets are cluttered, the lighting looks dull and natural. 

The characters are so dynamic and full of life, love is sewn into them, even into the disagreeable main character. The writing of the characters is so subtle, it’s wonderfully complex and simplistic.  This film reminds me a lot of “Dead Poets Society”– that’s a big complement. It musters near the same amount of care towards its sensitive and complicated characters. It also has a very similar setting and characters, and I enjoy that a lot. It’s also a very unique story, taking the perspective of the grumpy teacher who needs a change, rather than the witty student. 

I was very impressed by the fact that two of the main characters were debut roles. Their performances were heartfelt and moving. Randolph was amazing, her presence was the most attention catching of all, whenever she was on screen she was the main focus. The characters’ complexity was very well portrayed. Disregarding that, I did notice the characters were a bit caricature-esque in terms of roles– the rebellious teen, the grumpy teacher, etc. But it didn’t affect my enjoyment. The characters also varied greatly from their character type as their backstories and personalities were revealed throughout the film. 

The movie was really fun to watch. I was excited from the minute it began because of the great atmosphere: I look forward to rewatching it around Christmas time next year. It’s that type of thorough enjoyment, it is both fun and sad, atmospheric and character-driven. It’s a notable addition to the holiday genre, and a nostalgic homage to sentimental 90s dramedies.