The student news site of Oak Park High School

Northmen News

Northmen News

Northmen News

Shelter Dogs Are Still Good Dogs

There are many people out in the world looking for a brand new puppy, while dogs sit in an overcrowded shelter waiting for a person to come and take them home but no one comes. This is why people need to consider adopting shelter dogs.

KC Pet Project has become so overcrowded that they are waiving adoption fees for dogs who have been there for the longest – desperate for these dogs to find loving homes but also to open up space for dogs who are coming in. 

But it is especially tough to find homes for senior dogs, because a lot of people want puppies instead of an older dog, especially senior dogs. According to olddoghaven.org, most senior dogs end up in shelters because they had elderly owners whether they moved into an assisted living facility or passed away. 

Bentley (Emma Arnone)

Bentley, a senior Golden Retriever Basset Hound mix, was brought into the shelter after being found in someone’s backyard. It was presumed he had been hit by a car at some point in his life because of problems with his hip. Bentley was the sweetest dog on earth who loved to eat popcorn and even though he was old he enjoyed running and rolling around in the yard, it was like he was still a puppy. And brought joy to everyone who knew him.

Lilly (Emma Arnone)

But also dogs may be surrendered if their owners can’t take care of them or simply don’t want them like Lilly, a Black Labrador Retriever Basset Hound mix, who was surrendered by her owners along with her litter of puppies. Lilly, who has a unique personality, loves to cuddle, loves to sunbathe out in the warm sun and weirdly likes to rub against walls, but is always there for support and accepting pets of course.

Many people want puppies and to buy from breeders. But please do your research about breeders and puppy mills and remember the dogs in shelters are still good dogs and in need of loving homes. 

According to Paws.org, about 90% of purebred puppies in pet stores come from puppy mills. Puppy mills are places and people who care more about profit than the health of puppies and their dogs. 

Backyard breeders, even if they take really good care of their dogs, may not screen for genetic diseases or disorders and breed dogs and puppies with health issues. 

Bailey (Emma Arnone)

Bailey, a purebred Basset Hound who has hip dysplasia, was one of these. It was thought her breeder was reputable and ethical but instead didn’t screen for genetic disorders and ultimately breeding a litter of puppies who have hip dysplasia. Bailey loves to run in the yard but struggles with the discomfort and pain from her hip and is only 3 years old. She is the most stubborn and sassiest dog on earth but has a soft cuddly side to her. And even in your darkest hour she is right there by your side to cheer you up.  

So please consider a shelter dog. They are still good dogs.