The student news site of Oak Park High School

Northmen News

Northmen News

Northmen News

Prom theme tangled the message

The junior class officers hosted prom at the View at Briarcliff on Saturday, April 27. Tickets were sold on GoFan for $35 each and were live the week of the event. 

Prom 2024 (Alex Beals)

“The best part of the day was probably after the dance,” said junior Brayden Eichler. “Me and my friends went out. We got ice cream. We went back to my place, watched Moon Knight.”  

Junior Donovan Jones agreed with that outlook. 

“To be honest, my favorite part was hanging out after the dance.”

Neither found the dance to be the most enticing part of prom, and both had criticisms when it came to the theming of the dance. The theme for prom was announced back in February as being Tangled in Memories, playing off of the Disney movie “Tangled.”

When asked if he dressed for the theme, Eichler said.

“I did not dress to match the theme because I felt the theme wasn’t like fitting for what our school was. It too closely resembled like Northtown.”

The dance featured purple and gold balloons, and with rival NKC school NKCHS having their main school colors as purple and gold it’s easy to see the confusion here. 

Donovan Jones (Alex Beals)

“I believe they could have decorated more on theme because I feel like you wouldn’t know immediately from looking at the decorations what the theme was. So I feel like they could have done more,” Jones said. 

Eichler added comments about the music played at the dance, as well.

“It was kind of obscure music to me. Like it’s obscure pop music. I know that doesn’t really make sense, but, like, it just wasn’t my thing. I heard lots of people complaining about the music.”

His hope is for a student survey prior to the event, to get a read on the type of music those attending want to hear. 

Gary Bronson and Emma Powers (Alex Beals)

Jones had a different sort of criticism. 

“More advertising, maybe. Better decorations as I said,” Jones sad. “I feel like they could have done like, more than one Insta post about the prom.”