Messiah musicians reflect on performance

Entertainment Q&A by: Jake Boeding
Over the weekend, and after a “vicious” snow storm, the Oak Park a Cappella choir and Orchestra gathered together to continue the 49 year tradition of singing the masterwork of Handel’s Messiah. Northmennews was able to interview four of the chorus members: sophomores Chaunery Tanguay and Mackenzie Nelson, senior Madaline Walter McCrary, and alum Seth Argyle.

Northmen News: What is your favorite Messiah Chorus to sing and why?

Sophomore Chaunery Tanguay: “My favorite Messiah chorus would probably be ‘And the Glory of the Lord’ just because of all of the chords in it. They sound really good and I like my part, it’s very easy to sing for me.”

Sophomore Mackenzie Nelson: “I don’t really have a favorite because they all kind of blend together for me, so I just like them all minus the ‘Hallelujah.’”

Junior Seth Argyle: “My favorite Messiah chorus is probably the ‘Hallelujah’ just because it is the last one, everybody knows it, its always fun to sing and it’s just loud and awesome.”

MN: “‘And he shall Purify’” because there’s a lot of cool runs in it and you just get to belt it out and it’s a lot of fun.”

NN: This being your first Messiah performance, how would you describe it?

CT:: “I am ashamed of myself, because I feel like I let down the choir just because I didn’t know my part very well. I am looking forward to next year so I can get better and just try to keep up my singing abilities.”

MN:: “It was really loud and my ears are still ringing. But, it was really good and it was really cool to see all of our hard work pay off.”

NN: : This being your last Messiah performance, how would you describe it?

Senior Madaline Walter-McCrary:: “It was interesting. I wish we had more time to work on it.”

NN: : As an alumni, why did you decide to come back to Oak Park High School?

SA:: “Well I came back because mostly all my friends are here and I miss them. But, it’s just nice to sing with a good choir again.”

The Oak Park vocal music and instrumental music departments look to begin preparing for Missouri State contest scheduled for April. Next year will be the 50th anniversary of the Messiah tradition and vocal music director Chris Drogemueller seems to have big plans for the event.