Fidget Spinner in the Hands of Kids Everywhere

Fidget spinners have been all the rage these past couple months. Not only are younger kids obsessed with them, but Oak Park students are too. In every class you can at least find one student twirling the toy in their hands. Kids are even selling them to other students.

That’s exactly what freshman Wesley Russell is doing. He’s already made $50 selling Fidget Spinners, and he started selling on Monday, May 8th.

“I got the fidget spinners to sell about 3 to 4 days ago, which is like a month after the trend started. I got about 25 spinners for $5 a piece and now I’m selling them for $15-$20,” Says Russell.

Freshman Eric Kellgren says he got a spinner quite a bit before it became popular at Oak Park.

“I got my fidget spinner around March, before a lot of people even knew about it,” Says Kellgren.

“I’ve seen just about everyone with them. About half the school I see them walking with a spinner,” says Russell.

But the original inventor, Catherine Hettinger, hasn’t made a dime off the spinners, because in 2005 her patent expired and someone else stole the idea.

“Hettinger accepts that had she been able to afford to keep the patent, she would now likely be sitting on a sizable fortune,” says an article by theguardian.com

The fidget spinner is marketed as a toy to help kids concentrate and calm down.

“I kinda liked how they came out. They originally came out for kids with ADD and autism,” says Russell.

“It actually does help me focus in class. It helps me keep my hands busy while I’m trying to listen to the teacher. I’ve definitely noticed it helps me pay attention a lot more,” says Russell.

“It doesn’t really help me in class. I play with it and it unfocused me. That’s just me though,” says Kellgren.

Now, you can find spinners with a million different colors, patterns and designs.

“I like them because there’s a lot of variety. There’s plain colors, solid colors, crazy colors. There’s just a lot of variety,” says Russell.

But the teachers don’t seem too thrilled about the trend.

“I’d say most teachers disapprove of them. They think they’re a distraction,”says Russell.

“My English teacher dislikes them. I bring mine to class and she just isn’t a big fan. It’s mainly because I let other people play with it and it becomes a distraction,” says Kellgren.

Well, hopefully for the teacher’s sake, the kids who get distracted by them will eventually become bored with them and they’ll only be used by students with attention disorders. But for now, these toys don’t seem to be going anywhere anytime soon.