Journalism heads to nationals

On Nov. 11, Axe, Log and Cambia went to Orlando for a National Competition.

Wednesday when journalism got there, they settled into their rooms and headed down to Downtown Disney, Disney Springs.

Thursday, the team got up bright and early headed down to Universal Studios. Afterward, they headed to the Dolphin hotel to check in to the competitions and walked around and met different journalism colleges at different tables. Later that night, they headed back to the hotel.

Friday was an exciting day, Alex Brown, Maddie Russell, and Jessica Gold-Barnes got to do their competition pieces early in the morning. The rest of the students got to learn about photography, journalism and broadcasting. Each student took away a lot from these classes.

After the classes and competitions late in the day, they made their way down to Disney World. They visited Magic Kingdom, they got VIP passes to stay after closing and watch the Christmas parade and ride rides till midnight. After a late night at Disney it was time to head back.

Saturday morning, they all had to wake up early to go back to the Dolphin Hotel to learn in classes. The students also got their critiques. Saturday afternoon, they headed to Cocoa Beach for a dip in the ocean and shop at the surf shops for souvenirs.

Sunday morning came and it was time to head back home. The students got on the plane at 1 p.m. and landed in Atlanta, Ga. They final stop was home, they landed at 5:30 p.m.

Brown and Gold-Barnes won an honorable mention award for their video. The rest of the team did an amazing time and sent in their best work. The team represented Oak Park very well.