The student news site of Oak Park High School

Northmen News

Northmen News

Northmen News

Ballet Offers More Modern, Family Options

The KC Ballet has been creating a family-friendly experience on stage for years, now they are taking to screens too.

Their spin on the original choreography of the staple “The Nutcracker” to include little lambs shaking their bum, and Mother Ginger’s children cranking the soulja boy, and hitting the running ran gave them the opportunity to perform in the Kennedy Center in Washington D.C. in 2022.

The success of “The Nutcracker” has given the company the idea to move to more family-fun ballets. Instead of years past “Aurora” or “Swan Lake,” which both have graphic scenes like the lilac fairy and Prince Desire killing Carabosse, or Prince Siegfried jumping off a cliff to join his true love Odette in the afterlife. They have decided to turn toward ballets like their most recent “Peter Pan.”

The KC Ballet’s version of “Peter Pan” included Nana (Wendy’s dog) being goofy like peeing on the boys beds, asking for belly rubs, and laying down and licking Michael (Wendy’s littlest brother). Tinkerbelle needed as much applause from the audience as possible to be awoken after being poisoned. Lastly, crocodile running after Captain Hook hitting the griddy across the stage and the disco point move. While children could be seen jumping for joy in their dresses and suits and heard laughing, the silly dancers performed a childhood classic for many alike.

KC ballet has also been creating TikToks and Instagram reels calling out professional teams. They made one for the Super Bowl where the “Chiefs” and “49ers” duked it out in a dance battle. Another with KC Current gear celebrated the new stadium opener and many more.