The student news site of Oak Park High School

Northmen News

Northmen News

Northmen News

‘Damsel’ Film Review: Not Your Average Princess

Courtesy of Netflix

When someone used to ask me what my favorite fantasy adventure film was, I probably would’ve said Rob Reiner’s “The Princess Bride,” but on Friday, March 8, my opinion changed.

“Damsel,” directed by Juan Carlos Fresnadillo, had been long awaited since the teaser for the film on Netflix’s official YouTube account released on Nov. 11, 2023. “Damsel” was scheduled to stream on Netflix on Oct. 13, 2023, but due to the impact of the 2023 SAG-AFTRA strike on the film’s promotion, the original release date was postponed and the film began streaming on March 8.

The film stars Millie Bobby Brown as Princess Elodie. Brown is best known for her performance of Eleven Hopper in the Netflix original series “Stranger Things” and her role as Enola Holmes in the Netflix original film “Enola Holmes.” The film also stars Ray Winstone, Nick Robinson, Shohreh Aghdashloo, Angela Bassett, and Robin Wright.

The story follows a princess that accepts the offer of Queen Isabelle of Aurea (Wright) to marry Prince Henry (Robinson), but the events that follow the wedding aren’t exactly a dream honeymoon. Princess Elodie follows the king and his mother to a bridge on a mountain, only to find out she is the next victim for a centuries long blood debt to a dragon laying in the chasm. She’s thrown off the bridge in a moment of shock and she must find her way out of the depths while trying her best to avoid the treacherous fight of a fire-breathing dragon that is hungry for the royal blood that seeps in her veins.

The cinematography in the film was outstanding as well, including many cinematic shots of the beautiful castle of Aurea and the depths of the chasm Elodie found herself trapped in. The visuals were unlike anything I’d ever seen, and the shots seemed incredibly well planned with amazing color and perfect special effects. They used every inch of the screen to show the details of the environment. 

The film has a satisfying ending as well, ending with Elodie confronting the royal family at the third and final victim’s wedding to Prince Henry about attempting to sacrifice her, with an iconic line saying “It’s not me you should fear. This is the end of your story.” The dragon then flies above their heads and unleashes his fire upon the crowd. Elodie walks from the castle with the dragon flying above and the castle in flames behind her.

I’d recommend this film to everyone I meet, it was fantastic. Everything about this film intrigued me and pulled me into the story. Brown’s portrayal of Princess Elodie was show stopping and if it was performed on Broadway, it’d be a standing ovation. There’s a new face for strong femininity and her name is Elodie.