The student news site of Oak Park High School

Northmen News

Northmen News

Northmen News

Benson Boone’s “Beautiful Things” Alters the Face of Music

Taking a Look into the New Benson Boone Sound
Courtesy of MOXIE

For many reasons, American singer-songwriter Benson Boone rose to popularity on TikTok and Instagram when he shared his rich voice and music in 2021. Shortly after, he auditioned for “American Idol,” judge Katy Perry even saying, “I could see you winning the competition.”

Unfortunately, Boone dropped out of the competition later, “Everybody on the show wanted to [make] music; they had been waiting for this moment their whole lives. And I didn’t really feel that way,” Boone told producers of American Idol.

Even with this, he continued to build his sound on TikTok. The singer shows significant promise in the music industry with his rich vocals and melodic instrumentals. 2023 was Boone’s year, as he remarked on a worldwide headlining tour, even becoming MTV’s Global PUSH Artist for the month of October.

The song “Beautiful Things” came out on Jan. 18, 2024, as a single. Benson had help writing the song from Jackson LaFrantz, who was a key contributor in Boone’s singles, “Sugar Sweet,” and “Before You,” as well as several more of Boone’s records. Another key person in the making of the singer’s latest release is singer-songwriter and producer Evan Blair, who is known for his work with singers Dove Cameron and Nessa Barrett. 

Benson Boone’s, “Beautiful Things,” began its journey on the social media platform TikTok, where Boone shared snippets of the song. The song quickly gained attention and accumulated a vast number of views, due to its relatable lyrics and Boone’s heart-wrenching sound. The song goes over his struggles with his love life and his appreciation for everything that God has given him, singing, “. . .And I thank God every day for the girl He sent my way. But I know the things He gives me, He can take away.” About halfway through the song, the drums and guitar build in the foreground of the instrumental, a beat hitting and showing us a different Boone sound. In the chorus, he belts, “I want you, I need you, oh, God. Don’t take thеse beautiful things that I’ve got.” He strains his voice at the note and presents a sort of rasp to his feathery vocal sound. Boone also has many other releases, including his first single release “Ghost Town” in 2021, In “The Stars,” which holds the most listeners out of every song on his Spotify profile at 559.5 million listeners. 

The song is nearly perfect for its relatable and sweet sound that just pulls into the satisfaction of his smooth vocals and background instrumentals. Boone ensures a great success, portraying all the qualities of a perfect performer with his relatable sound and words.

Thanks to Boone’s wonderful marketing team, Moxie, there are promotional Benson Boone poster calendars and bookmarks. If you give the songs a listen and fall in love or you already love the Boone sound, feel free to get a poster and bookmark from journalism teacher Mrs. Geabhart in Room E134 (while supplies last, there’s a limited number available).

View Comments (7)