The student news site of Oak Park High School

Northmen News

Northmen News

Northmen News

Students Share New Year Resolutions

As the year 2023 concluded, students began to reflect on their own growth and where they can improve. This led to them making realistic goals or resolutions for what they can change or continue doing for the upcoming year.

What Did You Do For New Year's?

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

“I made some new friends, did pretty well in football,” said sophomore Jesse Barrett.

He claimed that because of this, his year went pretty well.

Freshman Isabella Hernandez agreed, explaining that her year was also, “pretty good,” and that one of her accomplishments were, “starting high school.”

For freshmen, this can be a really big thing to them.

“It’s been okay, it’s not my best year but hopefully next year will be better,” said senior Martina Lopez.

When it comes to success, what comes to mind for a lot of students was being an athlete, being an academic student, and developing their social circles.

However, many things can happen during the year, shifting a student’s whole perspective on what they should look forward to.

Barret focused on keeping all his classes an A, explaining that he, “has a couple of Bs and doesn’t like that very much.”

Keeping up with schoolwork was one of the many things a high schooler wishes to accomplish.

“I don’t really do resolutions because I feel like I never follow them,” said Hernandez. Her goals for the year include, “getting better at math.”

It is common for students to not have a strong point in mathematics. According to National Review, “one in three U.S. students lack basic math proficiency.” It is no surprise that some may feel motivated to beat those odds.

For Lopez on the other hand, her resolution is, “to graduate.”

Graduation is not only an achievement, but it is a step towards somebody’s future. Getting past high school can open doors for many individuals. Sometimes resolutions can get in the way of other resolutions though.

“If all my classes are an A before New Year’s I’d change my resolution,” said Barrett. He would make his resolution related to fitness, specifically to do a “255 benchpress.”

Hernandez said that if she wasn’t struggling with math, her goal would be, “getting healthier.”