The student news site of Oak Park High School

Northmen News

Northmen News

Northmen News

‘fruitcake:’ A Sabrina Carpenter Christmas

Reviewing her Christmas EP

Sabrina Carpenter may still be opening for Taylor Swift on the Eras Tour, but she’s entering her own personal holiday era.

The singer released her six-track EP ‘fruitcake,’ featuring five original Christmas songs and a classic with her own special twist.

Carpenter has been making her name known around the globe with her music career in recent months. When she was younger, Carpenter acted in many films along with making many TV appearances. She is most well known for her role as Maya Hart in the Disney Channel show “Girl Meets World” and for how she freestyles three verses of her hit song “Nonsense” to correspond with each city she performed in during her “emails i can’t send” tour.

Carpenter has since starred in several feature films, including “Horns” (2013), “The Hate U Give” (2018), “The Short History of the Long Road” (2019), “Clouds” (2020), and “Emergency” (2022). She also starred in Netflix films, “Tall Girl” (2019), “Tall Girl 2” (2022), and “Work It” (2020). 

Sabrina now has over 30 million monthly listeners on her Spotify profile and over one billion streams on her songs. Her first ever Christmas single released in 2014 and her most recent tops any and every single one of her other Christmas specific albums. 

The “fruitcake” album was released on Friday, Nov. 17, by Island Records, produced by Julian Bunetta. The album has over twomillion streams after only a month of being released.

The album begins with a rendition of Carpenter’s hit song, “Nonsense,” being renamed to “A Nonsense Christmas.” Carpenter rewrote a few of the ending lyrics in the last few verses of the song. For example, in the second-to-last verse of the song, she changes the lyrics from “Woke up this mornin’, thought I’d write a pop hit,” to “Woke up this morning, thought I’d write a ‘Chrismash,”’ in the rendition of the song. 

Other songs on the album include five original songs by the names of: “buy me presents,” “santa doesn’t know you like i do,” “cindy lou who,” and “is it new years yet.” The album also includes one rendition of two classic holiday songs called “white xmas.” The song includes covered segments from the popular Christmas classics “White Christmas” by Bing Crosby and “Jingle Bells” by Frank Sinatra nearing the end of the song. 

Although, I’d have to say my favorite songs on the album are “cindy lou who,” “A Nonsense Christmas,” and “santa doesn’t know you like i do,” the lyrics on “A Nonsense Christmas” easily brought the element of surprise into the album as I waited to hear what lyrics were going to change. The lyrics in “cindy lou who” are sung by a sad girl about that’s jealous of another woman with the guy she loves. The lyrics say, “The boy who I love who’s now in love with you, Cindy Lou Who.” Referring to the other woman in the song as Cindy Lou Who, more commonly known as the antagonist daughter from the classic Christmas film, “How The Grinch Stole Christmas.” 

Overall, the album consists of six songs for a total of 15 minutes and 46 seconds of Christmas-themed tunes. “fruitcake” is one of my all time favorite albums from Carpenter, sitting at No. 2 on my list just behind my No. 1 album, “emails i can’t send.