The student news site of Oak Park High School

Northmen News

Northmen News

Northmen News

Improv: Big Laughs and Big Crowds

Improvisors+sophomore+Drew+Chamberlain%2C+senior+Katherine+Robbins%2C+junior+Sophy+Marks+and+sophomore+Chelsea+Brown+practice+improv.+
Courtesy of Oak Park Theater
Improvisors sophomore Drew Chamberlain, senior Katherine Robbins, junior Sophy Marks and sophomore Chelsea Brown practice improv.

I’ve gone to improv shows since I began going to this school, and they’ve always been a joyous thing. The crowd is loud and rowdy– comparable to that of a sports game. People talking to each other; the improvers and the crowd, and the loudest sound of all in the little theater is laughter. 

Improv has done one show this year, the Halloween Improv Show on Wednesday, Oct. 18, and they’ve also done a parody of the main-stage musical production from this fall, “Hairspray” on Friday, Nov. 10. According to senior Katherine Robbins, one of the three improv captains this year, the crowds have been bigger than ever, and it’s good for the team.

The crowds help because they’re so interactive,” Robbins said. 

The improv team is composed of nine improvisers, with at least two from each grade level save for the freshmen class, because improv tryouts are at the end of school years instead of the beginnings. Performing only two shows and a parody every semester, the team only gets a few hours a school year to make an impression. 

So far this year, there has only been one show and one parody, but the improv troupe proved itself to be a fun community event for students that’s hilarious, and more packed with people than ever.

In Improv, uniquely it (large crowds) enhances the enjoyment because they’re a part of the show,” said senior Aidan Bearden, who attends the shows. 

It makes for a full house.

We consistently fill three sides of the little theater, whereas last year it was less cramped,” improv sponsor Zen Bagunu said. 

Improv has had a growing audience over the couple years I’ve attended the shows, but there’s another factor that makes the shows entertaining and enjoyable; the improvisers really are funny.

This year, the team has been saying they’re even better this year, and I think their performance in October really showcased that,” Bagunu said. “I think part of that is the level of talent coming in, but the captains are also getting better at helping their teammates refine and showcase that highlight.” 

To watch improv’s next show, catch them at 7 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 13, in the Little Theater.