The student news site of Oak Park High School

Northmen News

Northmen News

Northmen News

Voices from Homecoming

Journalism 1 students interviewed Northmen about their Homecoming week

It was an early fall Homecoming last week for the Northmen.

Let’s hear what a few have to say:

After the assembly, sophomore Allison Kerton waits for the parade. (Emberlynn Goodspeed)

“A memory from this assembly that would stick with me would probably be the crowning of the Homecoming King because it was really loud and the highlight of the assembly,” said sophomore Allison Kerton.

Others agreed.

“The assembly was fun, really felt the energy and seeing the different activities was cool,” said senior Venard Ifamilik. “One memory is seeing the whole school invested in the events, makes me feel like I’m a part of something bigger.”

Some loved the whole experience.

“Going to homecoming and hanging out with all my friends,” said junior Dylan Mayfield.

Junior Abi Marin’s favorite event was the parade because she walked in it, and her second runner up was the homecoming assembly. She loved it all. Marins said she loved being surrounded by the people and her groups; she’s in Diversity Club. The moment that stuck with her was having senior Ali Habila voted for homecoming and becoming homecoming king and how loud the school was.

“What I liked most about today was decorating the float and also everyone coming together as a community to celebrate something,” said Ava Sanderson.

“The parade,” said freshman Casey Owens, “the candy was the best part.”

“The best part of the parade is getting off the float and high-fiving all the kids,” said junior Donald Duplass. “It’s the best part because it makes the kids excited, it seems that we really make an impact on them and I love seeing that.
“The football game, I enjoy seeing all the people there and as well as getting the opportunity to play and then seeing my friends and family afterwards supporting me always makes my night.
“Homecoming night. homecoming is always just exciting seeing everyone of my friends all in the same place and all hyping each other while all dressed up. It’s fun going all out for one night every once and awhile.” (Kairi Yancer)

Some students had surprising moments, like senior Zenan Johnson.

“Us winning 70-14, you’d think a homecoming game would be more competitive y’know?”

“Oh it’s definitely this football game,” said sophomore Danielle Oogle. “Because standing in the student section is so fun. I get to yell and jump every time there’s a good play and we get a lot of those. The cheers are fun to, I really like when we yell ‘butterfingers.'”

Johnson also added.

“[Senior] Tristan [Young] winning homecoming queen, her bravery and hard-work is really inspiring,” Johnson said. “I think it illustrates how we should be more accepting as community. “I like that no matter who we are we come together support our team, it makes me feel happy that we have a supportive community.”

Contributors to this story:

• Emma Arnone, reporter
  • Kaden Barnard, reporter
  • Jayla Clark, reporter
  • Emberlynn Goodspeed, reporter
  • Elias Junior, reporter
  • Nathanial Martin, reporter
  • Kaya Moore, reporter
  • Rylan Slankard, reporter
  • Kairi Yancer, photographer