The student news site of Oak Park High School

Electrons, protons, and so on

Electrons, protons, and so on(s). Looking into the depths of science, many teachers can be overlooked because for some students they’re just teachers. However, they’re not just teachers, they’re people too.

For example, biology teacher Trent Fuller, who teaches in the Business, Leadership, and Entrepreneurship pathway. Just by looking at him you wouldn’t know how invested he is in helping children learn and develop a love for science, and that he’s both charismatic and equally reserved.

He makes us feel cared for and seen.

— freshman Ellie Long

He starts his day by making connections with students while taking attendance and gets to most of them as the day progresses. By being available and talking to the kids firsthand about their daily life he models a supportive role for his students.

“Doing this, he makes us feel cared for and seen,” freshman Ellie Long said.

Fuller expressed that his natural adaptability formed in high school and followed him to where he is today. Fuller also said his hunger for education began with a teacher of his own. Now his hard work makes him a student favorite and a personable colleague.

He begins his class by having a lesson to understand where his students need the most help or to continue the unit the class is studying. What makes him special is his approach to the lessons themselves. He never makes students feel difficult or ignorant for asking questions that may seem that way to others, which many students have expressed is what makes him great.

By the end of the hour, he allows students to complete anything from his class whilst walking around and individually giving students his undivided attention. And unlike when the students entered, they now leave knowing they have a safe place to be.

Fuller’s advice to all is that kindness and patience will take you far.

Northmen News • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All Northmen News Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *