The student news site of Oak Park High School

‘A lot changed that day…’

On September 11, the day that many remember as the day that changed America, Monica Goodyear was a 16-year-old unaware of the events that were about to unfold.
Monica remembers being at home asleep at the time of the first attack. Waking up just before the second plane flew into World Trade Center.
“I thought I was watching an action movie…” she said.
As the second plane flew into the building, the news anchor came on saying it was live feed from New York City did she realize the horrors unfolding as she watched. Confused as to why there were firefighter and police just standing around not helping people, she felt compelled to help those at ground zero who were covered in dust, even being all the way in Missouri.
Later in the day she recalled going to the gas station and seeing lines of people, panicked, confused and afraid. Though only being 16, she thought people were being dramatic and overreacting. She went to a family member’s house where the news anchors had started to explain the situation more.
“A lot changed that day when it came to how people saw each other,” Monica said. “There was a lot more racism and hate when we should have been looking out for each other.”
That day changed the lives of millions.
“It changed people without them realizing it. No one’s life has truly been the same since 9/11 whether they were around to notice the difference or not.”

Northmen News • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All Northmen News Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *