The student news site of Oak Park High School

The year no one will forget

March 24, 2020

Quarantine. Something that sounds like a movie plot, or that seems surreal.

photo courtesy of CDC.gov
The COVID-19 virus has spread world wide.

What seemed like a new minor virus, Covid-19, a variety of coronavirus, has become a nation-wide threat.

At time of publication on Tuesday, March 24, according to the CDC, there are over 33,000 cases in the U.S. alone which means schools have switched over to online, restaurants have moved to drive through and delivery only, and there are no gatherings of over 10 people.

But what is it really like to be a student right now — just two days into eLearning?

“I’m honestly freaking out,” senior Kelcie Jones said. “I’m worried about how school is going to work until we go back or if we ever do get to go back before the 2019-2020 school year ends. I’m worried I have already walked my last day within the halls and had no idea of it. I’m worried that my senior year days finished with a blink.”

I’m worried I have already walked my last day within the halls and had no idea of it.

— senior Kelcie Jones

The disease has mainly been fatal for older people and people who are immunocompromised, but with it being a widespread disease, there has been a lot of panic.

“The whole thing is kind of scary and it feels kind of surreal. The worst part of the Coronavirus is that a lot of store have run out of things like hand sanitizer and Clorox wipes and people who are immunocompromised can’t access them,” junior Leemu Masah said.

There are many opinions on whether there are enough things being done to prevent the spread of coronavirus. As of Tuesday March 24, Kansas City residents are to stay inside unless it’s to go to any essential services still available in hopes to help prevent the spread of the virus. Mayor Quinton Lucas issued the shelter-in-place for the KC metro area with advanced warning over the weekend.

“The worst part is that we’re so unprepared to deal with such a large problem. The only way to stop the hospitals from overflowing is to slow it down through quarantine,” junior Joran Brensdal said. “The most upsetting thing is how so many people treat the problem with a careless attitude.”

For the most current information on COVID19, follow the Center for Disease Control’s website at https://www.cdc.gov.