Where are the rest of the Seniors Going?

Deciding what to do after high school can a hard decision for many students. This is the biggest step into adulthood after spending so many years in school, to go out and live the rest of your life- some students go straight to college, some don’t.

“I want to try to save money and move out first, and definitely find a job that consists of the basic things I like baking, pastries, and stuff like that,” Senior Jacklyn Aqino said.

Out of the 34, OPHS seniors questioned, only 20.6% of seniors have decided to not go to college after graduating. Most seniors are going straight to work, join the military, undecided, or pursue their dreams whether it is in the entertainment industry or in any other field of work.

“I want to be a cosmetologist and have my own business, I love makeup and making people feel important and beautiful.” Said senior Xvianna Rodriguez.

According to the National Student Clearinghouse Center, from 2011 to 2017 student enrollment for colleges have dropped down by 2.4 million students. More and more students are deciding to pursue their own interests and likes, and ultimately make goals for their futures.

“A lifetime goal I have is I want to take my dad’s electrical business and make it kind of a big thing like he has talked about for a while and I want to be able to make it an electrical company that everybody knows and trusts,” senior Emily Brocato said. “It will take almost my whole career to get the company to where I want it to be and I’d invest so much into it, it has to be my ultimate main goal I will really focus on.”

During this new time of a senior’s lives, the support of their parents is important to adjust to the adult life that awaits them.

“I have 2 sets of parents. One side hates the idea of me being a ‘pig’ and the other side knows that this is what I want, and they have my back through this whole thing.” Said senior Isabelle Fishburn.