The student news site of Oak Park High School

Northmen News

Skipping School for Dr. Seuss

Aurora Riley, Writer

Little kids are always fun to be around, especially if you get to skip class to hang with them. That’s what happens during Read Across America.

Read Across America is on Dr. Seuss’ birthday and is done to encourage children to read. Oak Park helps with this by going to five elementary schools in the area and reading to kindergarteners, first graders, and second graders.  This is run by Oak Park’s librarian Angie Wiegers who tries to get at least 100 students to come read.

When students get to one of the five elementary schools – Linden West, Clardy, Meadowbrook, Oak Wood Manor, or Gashland – they are split up and go into different classrooms. When in the classrooms, students read the book they brought. After that, a lot of teachers have crafts set up that Oak Park students help the children with.

When dealing with little kids you never know what to expect. Fights over crayons, odd questions, being taught step by step how to wash your hands, or getting a marriage proposal. A lot of people come back to school with a funny story to share. This year, a little girl saw Wiegers in the hall and said, “I’m not wearing an undershirt today,” and flashed her.

Little kids are funny and unpredictable but people enjoy going and hanging out with them every year. So if you like little kids, or just having a reason to get out of class, sign up for Read Across America next year.