‘Mermaid’ Splashes in November

Under the sea, more like into the scenes.

Theater director Brian Gehrlein decided to direct the Little Mermaid.

“I chose this musical because the rights were released from Broadway and I wanted to snatch it up before anyone else in our district had a chance,” Gehrlein said. “I think it is a classic story and is great for families. I grew up with it, and remember watching it on VHS. Now we are bringing it to life on stage! It is a very fun show.”

Winnetonka performed the “Little Mermaid Junior”in 2015, and now Oak Park will be the first school to perform a full-length play.

The cast included 37 students, 53 in crew and 12 band students. Many adults volunteered to help with production.

Most of the costumes were handmade. Costumer Jenny Knecht guided a small crew of students who made shimmering outfits.

“We are making them from scratch because it is challenging and fun,” Gehrlein said. “It will add a lot of originality to our version of the story and the kids will be very proud of that. It will take until probably the entire run of the production until opening night.”

Lejla Tenic

Senior Anna Merkel was one of the head crew members for the production. As stage manager, she was in charge of a lot  behind the scenes, such as keeping sets, lights and sound all in check and people on task. There was an underwater set.

To accomplish this shimmering blue background, it is all up to the lights and background sets. They created rocks and set decorations to make an underwater and bubbly look to it.

The students preforming the musical rehearsed many hours and with maximum effort into making this happen.

Merkel said,” Being a senior this year is nerve racking and also cool at the same time.”

Reporter Lejla Tenic talks to a theater student about the upcoming fall musical, “The Little Mermaid” in this podcast and to the director in the video.