Leaderships’ preparations for Relay

Features by: Landon Thomas

As relay happened on April 5th, at the District Athletic Complex (DAC), students prepared for the event in multiple ways. The Leadership class at Oak Park High School is responsible for setting up and preparing for the event each year. Their class works keenly to advertise and promote Relay For Life by creating posters, videos, and other advertisements that are displayed throughout the school. These advertisements inform students about Relay for Life and encourage them to participate in Relay by joining or making a team.

“We’ve spent the last three months working tremendously hard to prepare for Relay to make it the best it has ever been,” said senior Bret Bussinger, who is in charge of the Relay For Life committee for the Leadership class.

While the Leadership class manages and promotes the event, other students contribute to the event by raising money, making a team, joining a team, or by creating their own posters for Relay that promote the event.

“I have participated in Relay for the last four years and I’m looking forward to finish out this fourth year strong!” said senior Emily Ballard.

Ballard has been a team captain of the “Walking Warriors” for all four years of high school and has worked extremely hard to contribute to Relay in everyway she can.

The “Walking Warriors” have been one of the biggest teams and have raised a large amount of money to support the fight against cancer. Ballard promotes the event through advertisements, she helps set up, and she raises money for the event every year.

“I relay for a lot of reasons! I like to be part of something bigger than myself. Everybody is affected by cancer in some way. Whether it be yourself, family, a friend, etc. We all know or know of someone who has been affected. Relay is also just an awesome time!” Ballard said. She also commented,” It’ll be a special night. Anybody who wants to be on a team is welcome on mine! The more the merrier!”