From the T to the USA

For most teens traveling 6,947 miles from home to stay with complete strangers in a foreign country sounds like a nightmare, but this is the reality for Oak Park Senior Annamengli “Anna” Rozymuradova. Rozymuradova is a foreign exchange student from Turkmenistan which is located in Central Asia.

Rozymuradova chose to start this journey for the experience living in the states could provide. For one, she admires America’s diversity.

“America is one of those countries where you can find literally any nationalities” she stated.

She also wanted to challenge herself academically in a completely new educational system.

Even before coming here Rozymuradova had a kind perspective on the United States.

“I was prepared for open-minded people… who can understand you… who will welcome you with arms open.”

After staying here for a bit, she says her perspective is the same but different. She believes expecting and experiencing are two very opposite things. One of the most surprising changes she’s had at an American school is the freedom students have.

“I knew that the schools are different but for me it was kind of weird and it still is when you just can sit in your classes and use your laptops and cell phones, and you can just watch videos on Youtube and listen to music”

Rozymuradova believes her school back home in Turkmenistan is pretty strict compared to Oak Park High School. Respect is a value definitely held high there, students show this by standing up and greeting their teachers as they walk in the classroom. It would be a nice surprise to Oak Park teachers if our school tried this ritual for a week or two.

Although the two countries are very different she has a common love in both countries. When asked the questions “what is your favorite thing about America so far?” and “what is something you miss about your country?” she gave the same one word answer.

“Food.”

The biggest hardship Rozymuradova has had is adjusting to hearing the English language constantly.

“When you study another language, you can just like take classes and choose the time when you want to hear that particular language, but here you just have no choice everyone is speaking English…at some point I was like I’m done with this language I just wanna hear Turkmen or Russian…”

At times like this she calls to talk to her parents and feels instant comfort.

To Rozymuradova the United States and Turkmenistan are countries who have different values and understandings, but she has a phrase she repeats to herself:

“It’s different but not better, not worse.”

In a time where we are living in a world with a lot of division and pride, this is an excellent sentiment to hold.

Hopefully having a foreign exchange student from Turkmenistan will inspire other Oak Park students and teachers to visit the Asian country. If heading there Rozymuradova believes it’s important to know how to properly greet Turkmen. You do this by saying As-Salaam-Alaikum which means “peace be unto you”.

Oak Park’s 2017-2018 teachers and students say As-Salaam Alaikum to our new bright exchange student Anna Rozymuradova.