Troupe #2758 attends Missouri State Thespian Conference

After school on Wednesday, Jan. 6, a busload of theatre students arrived in downtown Kansas City, Mo., for the annual Missouri State Thespian Conference.  After piling into a hotel, the students, led by parent chaperones and theatre teacher Brian Gehrlein began a long weekend of interacting with other thespians from around the state, participating in educational workshops led by professional performers and viewing shows created by other Missouri high schools.

The Conference also gave students the chance to compete for college scholarships and titles in the Tech Challenge.  Seniors Chaun Tanguay, Kimmy Crane-Allen, Zane Weaver, Bailey Pelland, and Abbey Greene all performed in front of college representatives for the chance to win scholarships.

While the opportunity for scholarship auditions are normally only offered to seniors, the state selects five juniors to be given a chance to compete for colleges as well.  Of those five juniors selected from all the Missouri entries, two of them were Oak Park’s own, Erin Hill and Dean Foreman.

Of all of the Missouri thespian troupes that attended the conference, Oak Park had the largest group, with 56 total participants.  As the weekend came to a close on Saturday, Jan. 9, all of those students returned home with a light in their eyes and a new, inspired passion for theatre.