Students take advantage of free tuition

Features by: Lauren Sullivan

Everyone loves hearing the word “free,” especially when it’s associated with college, but is it really an option to go to college for no cost? If you participate in A+, then you really can go to college for free.

But what is A+?

The A+ program is a program that pays tuition for four semesters of community college as long as you follow their requirements both in high school and college.

This does not mean, though, that every school accepts A+. The schools that do accept A+ are any Metropolitan Community Colleges such as Maple Woods. But how do you get into the program? Well, you’ve already passed the first barrier, which is to attend an A+ certified school. Here are the rest of the requirements according to www.mcckc.edu:

• A U.S. citizen, eligible non-citizen, or lawfully present in the U.S.
  • Entered into a written agreement with the high school prior to graduation.
  • Attended a designated A+ high school for 3 consecutive years prior to graduation.
  • Graduated with an overall grade point average of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
  • Have at least a 95% attendance record overall for grades 9-12.
  • Performed at least 50 hours of unpaid tutoring or mentoring, of which up to 25% may include job shadowing.
  • Maintained a record of good citizenship and avoid the unlawful use of drugs and/or alcohol.

Also, beginning with the high school senior class of 2015, have achieved a score of Proficient or Advanced on the Algebra I end of course exam.

How A+ Works at MCC:

If you are receiving full tuition through Federal/State grants**, this includes:

• Full tuition
  • Standard fees
  • Individual Course fees †

No A+ Benefits will be applied to student account.

If you are receiving partial tuition through Federal/State grants*, this includes:

• Partial tuition with the remaining tuition balance covered by A+ benefits
  • A+ pays standard fees
If you are not eligible for Federal/State grants*:

• A+ pays tuition
  • A+ pays standard fees

A+ Student pays:

• Books & Supplies
A+ Student pays:

• Individual Course fees †
  • Books & Supplies
A+ Student pays:

• Individual Course fees†
Books & Supplies

** Based on the results of the Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA)

(www.mcckc.edu)

If you have any more questions or concerns regarding A+, contact Ms. Dameron or any of the counselors.